A handyman service business offers a wide variety of services for ordinary homeowners and businesses. This includes plumbing services, electrical works, furniture assembly and many other installation and assembly work. Here is how you can start your own handyman service business in South Africa.
To start this business, you first need to decide how you want to profit. Basically, there are two possible ways:
- responding to emergency situations (the toilet has a particular smell, the pipe is leaking );
- performing traditional tasks (install or assemble something, installation of windows etc).
Both the first and the second option have demand, then there is how to charge: per task or time (per hour).
First off, to turn this idea into a working business, you need to be ready to get some equipment. Here’s what you need:
- Tools (screwdrivers, spanners, drills, power saws, wire strippers, pliers);
- Measuring devices (tape measures, multimeters, voltage detectors, levels, flashlights);
- Plumbing materials (connectors, pipe fittings, valves, adapters, couplings, etc)
As mentioned above, you can offer two types of services. If you’re just starting own, it makes sense to keep an eye on performing traditional tasks like minor electrical and plumbing work, house carpentry, etc.
The idea here is to satisfy the customer in full so that if something unexpected happens they could call you immediately without the need to seek help on the Internet or somewhere else.
Expand your knowledge of services you can offer and ways to advertise your future company by watching the following video from a handyman service company’s owner:
Needless to say that when it comes to solving complex and urgent problems, promptness is the number one priority. Not the big name in the industry or anything else.
Therefore, if you’re offering your services 7/24, you or your workers are well-dressed, affable and communicative, your company might have a huge advantage over competitors.