Chicken is a popular food. Here are various ways to get started in the poultry industry.
There are many ways to get started in the poultry business and you have to decide which is best for you. Here are the various options listed from cheapest to startup and quickest returns to more expensive long-term returns:
Quick and cheaper
- Hatch and sell day old chicks – You are selling the chicks to others who will raise them for their meat.
- Buy day old chicks and grow them – You are buying day old chicks and raising them to sell their meat, you can decide whether or not you want to slaughter them or sell them alive.
- Raise egg laying hens – You are in the egg business, selling eggs and then the meat when the hen no longer lays eggs.
You may be asking why don’t I do all of the above, well it’s not going to be cheap because if you are doing all three you will need different equipment and facilities, different kinds of chicken and different kinds of feed.
More expensive and long term
- Vertically integrated fresh chicken selling business – you operate the farm, do the slaughtering and the shop where the chickens are sold at.
- Vertically integrated fried chicken selling business – you operate the farm, do the slaughtering and the shop where the chickens are fried as a take-away shop.
- Both of the above – you operate a farm, do the slaughtering and a shop where a shop divided into two sells fresh chicken on one side and fried chicken on the other.
There are other opportunities such as operating a abattoir or buying eggs in bulk and reselling them wholesale but these listed are some of the most popular.