Creating themes for websites is a hot trend today. Millions of website owners buy custom designs for their websites in order to impress visitors and customers. This side business idea is about how you can start creating your own themes and selling them online.
What Are Themes, and Why Are They In Demand?
Look at your friends! They all wear different clothes. We would look boring if we wore the same jeans, t-shirts and jackets. The same applies to websites.
Every smart webmaster wants to make his website look professionally designed. But on average, web design studios charges from several thousand rands for custom designs.
There is another opinion, which is buying a theme, which costs Starts at R150. They are being sold on the Internet in huge numbers every day.
How To Create And Sell Themes?
The first, and probably the most important rule is BE SPECIFIC! Decide exactly what themes you’re going to create. There are a few options:
- HTML Website templates;
- WordPress themes;
- Themes for other CMS.
The most popular content management system for websites is WordPress. This is why there are tens of thousands of paid themes for this CMS. If you decide to work with it, you won’t regret.
How To Get Started?
There are five stages:
- Learn WordPress. We have an article here with a list of valuable tips and resources. On average, it will take around one month.
- Learn how to create WordPress themes. If you understand the basics of WordPress, don’t waste your time, get this course – Professional WordPress Theme Development from Scratch in order to expand your knowledge.
- Contribute to the community! Create a WordPress theme and share it with WordPress users for free.
- Get feedback, improve your knowledge and create a paid theme.
- Make an account at ThemeForest and upload your theme.
ThemeForest reports that on average, 76% of the themes earn below $1,000 per month (which is not that bad, after all, isn’t it?). But if you catch a wave, one theme can change your whole life.
The Avada Theme costs $60 and has already been sold 458,204 times!
You know the numbers. Now, do your own math to figure out how many millions of dollars it brought its creators.
Motivated? Watch how to make money making and selling WordPress themes: